Cherry Bomb is a film about a stripper who is brutally raped by a group of men during an after hours lap dance session at a strip club. When a corrupt policeman refuses to help her, her brother seeks vengeance for her, and after killing the first of the group, Cherry joins him on a quest to send them all to Hell. What they don’t realize however, is that it all goes much deeper than they expected, and someone Cherry once trusted is the very man who is behind not only her rape, but also the hitman who is out to kill her.
Remember in the movie Spinal Tap how their album Shark Sandwich got a two word review that simply said, "Shit sandwich."? I was very tempted to give this film a similar review, minus the sandwich part and just leave it at that.
What we have here is a rape/revenge film that utterly fails on numerous levels. Rather than going into extreme detail, here’s a short list of its failures.
1. The story is very poorly written.
2. The characters are very shallow and unbelievable.
3. The acting is horrible.
4. Cherry is all beat to crap in the hospital, and then after her brother kills one of her attackers, suddenly she shows up at his house acting all cutesy, sucking on a lollipop and looking and acting like she hadn’t been through anything at all.
5. The hitman was neither competent nor intimidating. In fact, he seemed rather inept. He also looked like he was wearing a really bad afro wig, the point of which I’m still trying to figure out. Apologies to the actor if that was his actual hair, but it sure looked like a bad wig.
6. The strip club owner acted like a cartoon character on crack, at least at the end of the film, which was totally different from how he acted throughout the rest of it.
7. At one point the brother throws a bag of cocaine into a fan to distract the guy he’s trying to kill long enough to attack him. A small amount of coke blows into the face of the guy’s girlfriend, and she drops like a dead deer. Now I’m no drug expert, but it seems to me that in a loose cloud like that, she probably inhaled less than what one would normally inhale by snorting a single line, or even part of a line, and it certainly wasn’t enough to make anyone drop like that.
8. Cherry is pretty brainless, yet near the end of the film, she sets up a tripwire booby trap with a shotgun while trying to evade the hitman. Something she had neither the knowledge, materials or time to do properly.
9. The brutal rape scene should have set the viewer up for the revenge that would be coming, but unfortunately, it never happened. Just as they started getting violent with her, the scene cuts to her in a hospital bed talking to the cops, so we never actually see the brutal rape that occurs, which sort of defeats the purpose of having a rape / revenge flick.
10. The ending of the film was absolutely ridiculous and unrealistic.
I could literally go on and on, but I think you get the idea.
On a technical level, the film was a hit and a miss. The camera work was generally good, as was the lighting and the editing (for the most part). There were some CGI bits that just didn’t work at all, like the fireworks in the strip club, but in general, the film was technically competent.
This blu-ray release from Well Go USA contains the following special features:
Audio Commentary from the producer, Kyle Day.
The problem with this release isn’t the quality or the special features. Well Go USA releases are always top notch when it comes to quality. The problem here is the film itself.
The long and the short of it is, avoid this one. I really don’t know what else to say. Honestly, it’s not even worth renting. If you want to see a rape / revenge flick, there are a lot of them out there that are way better than this one.
If you’d like to find out more about this release, you can check out its page on the Well Go USA website here, and if you’d like to pick up a copy for yourself, you can pick up a copy of the blu-ray or DVD from Amazon or any of the other usual outlets.